Phonics @ Kiddie Cloud
"Every child should have the opportunity to receive a quality education." - Bill Frist
KIDDIE KLOUD Phonics is a programme that aims at developing phonics skills for children to read and spell fluently in a short period of time. We adopt the UK Letter and Sounds Phonics System in all the KIDDIE KLOUD English Courses.
What is Letters and Sounds?
Letters and Sounds is a phonics resource published by The Department for Education and skills (United Kingdom) in 2007. It aims to build children's speaking and listening skills in their own right as well as to prepare children for learning to read by developing their phonic knowledge and skills. It sets out a detailed and systematic programme for teaching phonic skills for children starting by the age of five, with the aim of them becoming fluent readers by age seven.
There are six phases based on the UK Letters and Sounds Phonics System:
Phase One (Playgroup & Preschool)
- Activities are divided into six aspects, including environmental sounds, instrumental sounds, body sounds, rhythm and rhyme, alliteration, voice sounds.
Phase Two (Nursery & K1)
- Learning 26 letters of the alphabet and one sound for each.
- Beginning, ending & middle sound would be introduced.
- Starting to learn how to blend CVC words.
Phase Three (K1-K2)
- Children learn to blend & segment longer words with adjacent consonants (CVC, CCVC, CVCC)
- Graphemes such as ‘ch’, ‘oo’, ‘th’ would be introduced.
- Reading sight words and simple sentences.
Phase Four (K2-K3)
- Children learn more graphemes for the phonemes which they already know, such as ‘ay’, ‘ou’.
- Children learn to blend & segment with adjacent consonants (CCVCC words) and two-syllable words.
Phase Five (K3-P1)
- Get to know the alternative pronunciation of different graphemes
Phase Six (K3-P1)
- Working on spelling, including prefixes and suffixes, doubling and dropping letters etc.